Friday, September 02, 2011

Friday's field trip.

Trying to decipher the complex geography bounding the Meakambut Sepik Basin territory in PNG required a trip to map central at LOC today. Got to look at some Australian 100k topos that seemed to have the geography correct but neither the place names nor the river names I needed. Nevertheless,
a very insightful visit.

When I got back I emailed the photog and got some GPS coordinates for two additional places I needed. Now I just need to track down the Eastern European anthropologist specializing in this
region, the SIL missionaries who have learned the local languages and the eccentric local contact who got us into this story. Hopefully one of them can figure out where these two remaining places are located and the confirm the extent of the Meakambut's territory.

No comments: