Sunday, August 07, 2011

Trevor Chamberlain

Chamberlain quotes a British art critique (unaccredited) writing that watercolor "requires the forward planning of a chess player, the concentration of a Zen master, and the dexterity of a brain surgeon."

Chamberlain is a painter I admire. In the next couple of weeks I'll be posting a quote from some of the watercolorists I look up to along with some samples of their work. I began this series of posts with a very similar quote and some samples from the website of Melbourne based Joseph Zbuvic last week.  He's a great painter that holds his palette colors close to himself. I'm very curious what's on his palette....I've been watching one of his videos this week instead of painting. I'm amazed to watch the brush control these folks have. They can do so much with precision and exactitude. Not much is left to chance, whereas my best paintings are happy accidents.

Back to Chamberlain. Handprint has a great page on his approach, palette, biography and a few lovely samples that I will just link to here. He has a nice book in the Atelier Personal View series that is worth owning if like me you enjoy loose, expressive British watercolor.





No comments: